Home | Contacts | FAQ | Organisational Development

This Login is for users of the Research Student Log

This login is for students without access to Research Log (e.g. New Users). Do not use if you have activated your Research Log.

Forgotten your password?

  New Users: Register

Skills for Teamwork

Course Description

Research is increasingly becoming a collaborative activity in many disciplines. However, for many postgraduate students their PhD research may often be a solitary activity that does not provide much opportunity for developing teamworking skills. This workshop will explore the principles of effective teamwork. Participants will each discover their own unique strengths that they can contribute to any team.

The aims of the workshop are for participants to better understand:

• The various roles that make for a well balanced, effective team
  • The roles they prefer to take on, or may default to when working in a team
  • How to work constructively with a diversity of preferences and styles within a team

This one-day workshop will present some theories and models of teamwork and provide participants with a unique opportunity to develop awareness of their preferred teamworking style. Learning will be achieved via a combination of group work and a team task circuit with facilitated reviews and feedback. There is also an opportunity for previous workshop participants to assist as team facilitators on future courses.

Participants will develop awareness of their own preferred teamworking style and will develop their teamwork skills through experiential learning tasks.

I never understood why it is important to work as a team in an academic environment until I attended this workshop.

The workshop was an eye opener for me because now I can comfortably identify my preferences and set how I can complete a task to meet the target.

Excellent course with highly experienced staff.

"Fantastic. Very useful workshop Highly recommended to anyone looking to improve his or her skills in team work. I enjoyed every part on it."

"I just can recommend this 2 day course to anybody interested in self development and self assessment! It is great fun and you can get a lot out of it in terms of understanding of your own way of working and thinking."

"Learn about your role in a team, how to improve. Learn how to get to know better, so you can learn how to better incorporate and produce within a team, and how to enhance your communication and ways on how to give your best to the team. Learn about yourself. How do you see life, the outer world, yourself, and the relationship between you-outer world."

"I learnt how different people are and how important it is to take that into account during teamwork."

"Good Course!! I am much more aware of myself now."

"Thanks for putting this much effort for organising such a useful workshop."

"I learnt how I may act - which then helped me understand a bit better how others may see me, and I may be able to use this in the future to work more effectively in teams."

Researcher Development Framework Categories

B2) Self-management
D1) Working with others

Course Recommended for

This course is particularly relevant to the following groups:

• 1st Year Research Students
  • 2nd Year Research Students
  • 3rd Year Research Students

Course Organisers

Further Web Resources

Further Reading

• Hirsh E., Hirsh K.W. & Hirsh S.K, Introduction to Type and Teams (2nd ed.), CPP Inc. (2003)
  • Myers I.B. & Myers S.B, Gifts Differing, Davies Black (1980)
  • Nash S, Turning Team Performance Inside Out, Davies Black (1999)
  • Woodcock M, Team Development Manual, Gower (1989)

23 Nov 2015

Places Available:15
Sessions:9:30am - 4:30pm on Mon 23 Nov 2015
UCL Conference Suite, Seminar Room 2, 188 Tottenham Court Road, W1T 7PH (Map)
Preparatory Work:

Page last updated: 23rd April 2015