Home | Contacts | FAQ | Organisational Development

Presentation Skills Workshops

Course Description

In fast-moving and increasingly competitive professional research environments, effective presentation can make a critical difference in the success of project proposals, progress reports and eventual outcomes. Communication, especially in a presentation, is a skill which can be developed to levels of excellence through a combination of guidance and practice. These workshops are designed to provide an opportunity to understand the essential elements of good communication and presentation and to put these principles into practice in an interactive session.

The workshop consists of an introductory one-hour lecture and a half-day video tutorial session about a week later. The introductory lecture offers guidance on the design, preparation and conduct of effective presentations. Participants then prepare a ten-minute presentation, which they present to a small group of fellow-participants in the video tutorial session.

Please register for one workshop only

Several workshops are scheduled each term to allow participants a choice of times. Sessions are run by staff and trained post-graduate facilitators from the Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching.

"Watching yourself on video can seem like a horrible prospect, but was overwhelmingly helpful. I've taken much away from this short course which will be invaluable in the future."

"A great opportunity to practice presentations in a safe and supportive environment."

"I would strongly advise every post-graduate student to attend this course."

"It was great practice, and I found it very useful to receive feedback from others on my way of presenting."

"This is a course which is an absolute must for anyone who will do presentations at conferences."

"Everyone should take this course! It is really helpful, and an excellent way of building confidence."

"Watching my presentation on video was extremely helpful in helping me identify what I did well and how I could improve."

Researcher Development Framework Categories

D2) Communication and dissemination
D3) Engagement and impact

Course Recommended for

This course is particularly relevant to the following groups:

• 2nd Year Research Students
  • 3rd Year Research Students

Course Organisers

• Course Tutor - UCL Arena One - (CALT - Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching)
  • Administrator - Ms Kasia Bronk - (Organisational & Staff Development)

Registration information will be available in due course.

Page last updated: 23rd April 2015