Maximising Your Potential Part 4: Leadership and Management Residential Course
This 3-day residential course is the fourth part of the ‘Maximising Your Potential’ programme. The complete programme, different parts of which may be selected as your interests and needs dictate, comprises:
- Part 1: Introduction to Skills Development and the Research Student Log
- Part 2: Personal and Professional Management Skills Residential Course
- Part 3: Facilitation Skills Training & Development
- Part 4: Leadership and Management Residential Course
Participants discover their own preferred leadership style and learn a process for further developing their skills in order to increase their leadership effectiveness. Specific studio sessions examine skills relevant to leadership and management including personal effectiveness, change management and negotiation. Master classes with external speakers take an in-depth look at current issues of relevance to management and leadership in today’s global society.
This new course builds on the individual and teamwork skills highlighted in the Personal & Professional Management Skills Residential course, to explore team management and leadership in much greater depth. These issues are becoming important and at the same time increasingly complex, as research and development becomes more competitive, interdisciplinary and international. The course will distil from these complexities key principles of inspiring leadership and effective management of ground-breaking projects.
Participants completing the Skills Development Residential Course for Graduates may apply to take part in this course focusing specifically on Leadership and Management skills. There will be a combination of classroom sessions and practical tasks, to provide a balance of theoretical understanding and application of principles in a ‘real world’ setting. All accommodation and meals will be provided, with coach transport to the venue as appropriate.
Registration: This course has an external application system run by CALT.
To apply for a place complete the Residential Skills Course Application
Once you have completed the course, it will be necessary to log your points in your training log in the box at the bottom of this page. Attendance will be checked with the course tutor.
Researcher Development Framework CategoriesD1) Working with others
Course Recommended for
This course is particularly relevant to the following groups:
- 2nd Year Research Students
- 3rd Year Research Students
- 4th Year Research Students
- Administrator - PPMS Admin Team - (CALT - Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching)
- Course Director - Mr Ken Marsden - (CALT - Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching)
- Maximising Your Potential website: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/myp
- Adair, Not bosses but leaders, Kogan Page (2003)
- Covey, The 8th Habit - from effectiveness to greatness, Simon and Schuster (2004)
- Fisher & Ury, Getting to Yes, Random House (1981)
- Goleman, The New Leaders, Little Brown (2002)
- Goleman, Primal Leadership, HBS Press (2004)
- Pearman, Hard Wired Leadership, Davies Black (1998)
Registration information will be available in due course.