Working ethically with children and young people as research participants
Are you contemplating or planning research with children and young people? How straightforward does it seem? How clear is the guidance that you might have read on working with children and young people as participants? Are you sure that you have weighed up all the ethical considerations?
This workshop will look both at ethical codes and guidance and consider practical examples of research with children and young people that raises ethical dilemmas.
The expected outcomes of the session are that you will:
- Gain familiarity with relevant codes of ethics and conduct
- Gain familiarity with relevant guidance on conducting research with this population
- Understand the importance of ethical sensitivity
- Be better able to understand the ethical considerations of conducting research with this population
- Be better able to take action to ensure that you take these considerations into account
PLEASE NOTE: you should read the essential reading under 'Course Links' below prior to the course.
About the speakers:
Professor Essi Viding is a Professor of Developmental Psychopathology in the Department of Clinical, Educational and Health Psychology. She co-directs the Developmental Risk and Resilience Unit at UCL and regularly conducts studies with vulnerable children. She is also the Divisional Ethics Chair for the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences.
Dr Phil Stringer is a Professional Research Tutor on the continuing professional doctorate (DEdPsy) for practising educational psychologists, in the Department of Clinical, Educational and Health Psychology. He is also employed as an educational psychologist by Hampshire County Council and has many years experience of working with children and young people. He is also a member of the British Psychological Society's Ethics Committee.
Researcher Development Framework CategoriesC1) Professional conduct
- The British Psychological Society Code of Ethics and Conduct (2009): http://www.bps.org.uk/sites/default/files/documents/code_of_ethics_and_conduct.pdf
- Graduate School guidance for research involving children: http://ethics.grad.ucl.ac.uk/res_with_children.php
2012/13: Term 2
|Description:||This session will take place in lecture theatre G03, 26 Bedford Way,|
|Sessions:||2:00pm - 4:00pm on Mon 22 Apr 2013|
Bedford Way G03, 26 Bedford Way, UCL, WC1H 0DS
|Preparatory Work:||PLEASE NOTE: you should read the essential reading under 'Course Links' prior to the course.|