Maximising Your Potential Part 1: Introduction to Skills Development and the Research Student Log
Induction Session for Research Students and Supervisors
This interactive session presents tools that researchers will be using throughout their degree programme for self-assessment and self-directed development of the broader knowledge, skills and attributes expected from today's researchers.
The two and a half hour session will introduce new research degree students to the UCL Graduate School Skills Development Programme and the Research Student Log, showing how they can maximise their potential and research experience whatever their intended career paths. Specific guidance will be given in identifying both areas of relative strength and areas to be developed, taking an evidence-based approach to the development of both.
Consideration is also given to communication and meeting management, to ensure that meetings with your research supervisors and advisors produce outcomes which are productive for all concerned.
- Welcome & Introduction
- Skills Development at UCL
- Self Assessment and Planning
- Milestones in the Research Degree
- Project meeting management
- Research Student Log
The session is highly recommended to all new research students and useful to supervisors.
This workshop is also part of the of the Maximising Your Potential (MYP) programme, part 1. The aim of the MYP programme is to enable researchers to develop the strategies and tools needed to make postgraduate learning more satisfying and productive. The complete MYP programme comprises:
- Part 1: Introduction to Skills Development and the Research Student Log
- Part 2: Personal and Professional Management Skills Residential Course
- Part 3: Facilitation Skills Training & Development
- Part 4: Leadership and Management Residential Course
The different parts of the MYP programme may be selected as needs dictate.
There will be three Induction sessions in 2012/13:
- Monday 29 October 2012 in Darwin B40 Lecture Theatre
- Wednesday 14 November 2012 in Cruciform B304 Lecture Theatre 1
- Wednesday 30 January 2013 in Christopher Ingold XLG2 Auditorium
Please register for only one of these sessions. Supervisors do not need to register.
Researcher Development Framework CategoriesB2) Self-management
Course Recommended for
This course is particularly relevant to the following groups:
- 1st Year Research Students
- Course Tutor - Prof David Bogle - (Chemical Engineering)
- Course Tutor - Ms Daniela Bultoc - (Organisational & Staff Development)
- Course Tutor - Dr Paul Walker - (CALT - Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching)
- Administrator - Ms Kasia Bronk - (Organisational & Staff Development)
- Maximising Your Potential website: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/myp
Registration information will be available in due course.